This post may contain affiliate links. To read more about this, head over to my disclosure page.
Relationships Centered on Christ
I’m sure we can all agree, the dating world is a little crazy now a days. In the midst of this hookup culture, we are called to keep our eyes (and our relationships) focused on Christ. To read a little more about waiting for a Christ-centered relationship, check out my post over at Memoirs of a Good Thing, Having a Christ-Centered Relationship- and Why It’s Worth the Wait. For now though, let’s talk about what to do when you are already in that relationship! How do you keep it centered on Christ?
One thing that we must realize is that we are called to show Christ to our partners through our relationships. This means acting intentionally, keeping our faith, and loving them as Christ would. Sometimes this can be really difficult though! This could be because you are going through a rough patch in your relationship, you guys are facing something tough, or you do not feel strong enough in your faith to lead him. Do not worry though, we are called to follow God, not to be perfect! I know it gets hard sometimes, so here are some tips to help you out.
5 Ways to Show Christ to Your Boyfriend
1. Do something kind for him. Do something that shows you put time and work into it! Maybe plan a date, make him his favorite food, or even make something crafty for him! Putting work into something means putting love into it, and he will appreciate this. Think of all the little blessings God puts in your path each day… and now put a little blessing in your boyfriend’s path!
2. Praise him. Each of us is made in the image of God, meaning each of us is wonderfully made. We often have a tendency to forget this though, so take some time to point out your boyfriend’s strengths. Remind him that he was made by a loving Father and he is wonderful!
3. Pray for him. (And tell him sometimes!) Be sure to incorporate your boyfriend and your relationship into your prayers. When your boyfriend is especially struggling, be sure he knows that you will be praying for him. Seeing you turn towards Christ for help in a time of need will likely encourage him to do so as well.
4. Invite him. Is your boyfriend not really into ministry or church events? Sometimes people prefer to keep their faith more private, meaning they prefer personal prayer over communal events. Sometimes, try to give him (and maybe even yourself) a little push outside of his comfort zone. Invite him to volunteer at church, attend adoration, or attend a church event together! Lead him to Christ.
5. Love him unconditionally. Remember, Christ calls us to love our neighbors, and your boyfriend is still included in that! Of course you love him, but do you show that when you are fighting? When he is bothering you? When he does something wrong? I am not saying let him mistreat you, but rather to remember that no matter what, he deserves to be loved. This means that if you are having an argument, do not belittle him or call him names. If he does something wrong, stand up for yourself but be merciful. God is love, and if you want God in your relationship you are going to need to keep love a part of it as well.
Now, go forth and enjoy your relationship! God has blessed you with something wonderful, so always remember to thank and praise Him. If you want to draw your relationship even closer to Christ, you can get a list of books that I recommend here. Another thing to remember though is that just because you are in a relationship with someone does not mean you need to stay with them forever. If you are unhappy for any reason, maybe he is not the one God has set aside for you. That is okay. These are ways to show Christ to your boyfriend, but he should be treating you this way as well! You deserve it. You are a daughter of the one true king, you deserve the best!